Cervical Check, Irelands National Cervical screening programme provides free smear tests to all women aged 25 to 60. This programme is designed to screen asymptomatic women for cervical changes. In other words, it is not useful if the woman has cervical (cervix) symptoms. * see below.
A smear test is a simple, quick procedure that is currently the most effective way to detect changes in the cells of the cervix. Your smear test is due every 3 years for ages 25-44 and every 5 years for ages 45-60. Smears may be more frequent depending on results – you will be advised of any changes at every stage in the process.
Cervical Check usually sends a letter to remind you when you are due your next smear. If you have no contact from Cervical Check or if you are unsure when your smear is due, please contact Cervical Check on 1800 45 45 55 or check their website www.cervicalcheck.ie
To book an appointment for you smear or if you have any questions regarding smears, please contact the practice.
*Cervix Symptoms that warrant a doctor appointment (not a Cervical Check Smear Test Appointment)
• Inter-Menstrual bleeding (spotting or bleeding between periods)
• Post-Coital Bleeding (Bleeding after sexual intercourse)
• Change in menstrual bleeding patterns or heavier-than-usual menstrual bleeding
• Pain during sexual intercourse
• Bleeding after menopause
• Unexplained or persistent pelvic pain
• Increased / change in vaginal discharge